RFR: JDK-821430: .attach_pid files may remain in the process cwd
Gary Adams
2018-11-29 16:24:26 UTC
If a process exits during an attempt to attach to it, the .attach_pid file
will not be removed properly, if the path used included symbolic link
traversal,
which is typically done for "/proc/<pid>/cwd/". Using getCanonicalFile()
before the
initial file is created should prevent this edge case for left over files.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html

Testing is in progress for every attach test I can find, but there is no
explicit test available for the case where the attachee exits while the
attacher
is making the initial connection.
JC Beyler
2018-11-29 16:54:23 UTC
Hi Gary,

Is there a reason why only
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html
actually has the assignment after the call ?
f = f.getCanonicalFile()?

(Nit, there seems to be a space missing before the =).

In the other two files, you just call the method but don't update the
variable f making the call useless, no? (The patch in the bug has the
assigments for all the cases),
Jc
--
Thanks,
Jc
Gary Adams
2018-11-29 19:11:29 UTC
Sorry, coding before coffee this morning.

Fixed.
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html>
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html>
Jc
JC Beyler
2018-11-29 22:27:33 UTC
Hi Gary,

Somehow I still see the same webrev? Has it been updated and my browser
does not want to update it?

Thanks!
Jc
Jc
g***@oracle.com
2018-11-30 09:11:06 UTC
I have not refreshed the webrev, yet.
Waiting to see if there are any additional comments
before updating the webrev.

The spaces and the assignments you noticed
have been fixed.
Jc
Chris Plummer
2018-11-30 20:10:25 UTC
<head>
</head>
update to give it a thumbs up.<br>
Chris<br>
On 11/30/18 1:11 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:***@oracle.com">***@oracle.com</a> wrote:<br>
cite="mid:95b85891-5acb-6a16-b8a8-***@oracle.com">
Waiting to see if there are any additional comments<br>
before updating the webrev.<br>
The spaces and the assignments you noticed<br>
have been fixed.<br>
On 11/29/18 5:27 PM, JC Beyler wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAF9BGBwE9T=-=EXpkPoyV+***@mail.gmail.com">
charset=utf-8">
and my browser does not want to update it?</div>
&lt;<a href="mailto:***@oracle.com"
moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
coffee this morning.<br>
Fixed.<br>
On 11/29/18, 11:54 AM, JC Beyler wrote:
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html"
target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html</a>
actually has the assignment after the call ?</div>
the =).</div>
method but don't update the variable f making the
call useless, no? (The patch in the bug has the
assigments for all the cases),</div>
Adams &lt;<a href="mailto:***@oracle.com"
target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">If
a process exits during an attempt to attach to it,
the .attach_pid file<br>
will not be removed properly, if the path used
included symbolic link <br>
traversal,<br>
which is typically done for
"/proc/&lt;pid&gt;/cwd/". Using getCanonicalFile() <br>
before the<br>
initial file is created should prevent this edge
case for left over files.<br>
   Webrev: <a
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html</a><br>
   Issue: <a
href="https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214300"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214300</a><br>
Testing is in progress for every attach test I can
find, but there is no<br>
explicit test available for the case where the
attachee exits while the <br>
attacher<br>
is making the initial connection.<br>
-- <br>
class="m_-1606696362352808152gmail_signature"
data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
Thanks,
-- <br>
g***@oracle.com
2018-12-01 11:10:39 UTC
Updated webrev:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.01/
...and I've been waiting for the webrev update to give it a thumbs up.
Chris
Post by JC Beyler
Hi Gary,
Is there a reason why only
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html>
actually has the assignment after the call ?
f = f.getCanonicalFile()?
(Nit, there seems to be a space missing before the =).
In the other two files, you just call the method but don't
update the variable f making the call useless, no? (The patch
in the bug has the assigments for all the cases),
Jc
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:23 AM Gary Adams
Jc
Chris Plummer
2018-12-03 20:09:06 UTC
<head>
</head>
Chris<br>
On 12/1/18 3:10 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:***@oracle.com">***@oracle.com</a> wrote:<br>
cite="mid:84625284-712a-52a0-9024-***@oracle.com">
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.01/"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.01/</a><br>
On 11/30/18 3:10 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:<br>
cite="mid:df2d4d3c-9076-0402-f885-***@oracle.com">
charset=utf-8">
webrev update to give it a thumbs up.<br>
Chris<br>
On 11/30/18 1:11 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:***@oracle.com" moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>
wrote:<br>
cite="mid:95b85891-5acb-6a16-b8a8-***@oracle.com">
charset=utf-8">
yet.<br>
Waiting to see if there are any additional comments<br>
before updating the webrev.<br>
The spaces and the assignments you noticed<br>
have been fixed.<br>
On 11/29/18 5:27 PM, JC Beyler wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAF9BGBwE9T=-=EXpkPoyV+***@mail.gmail.com">
charset=utf-8">
updated and my browser does not want to update it?</div>
&lt;<a href="mailto:***@oracle.com"
moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
before coffee this morning.<br>
Fixed.<br>
On 11/29/18, 11:54 AM, JC Beyler wrote:
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html"
target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/src/jdk.attach/linux/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java.udiff.html</a>
actually has the assignment after the call ?</div>
before the =).</div>
method but don't update the variable f making
the call useless, no? (The patch in the bug
has the assigments for all the cases),</div>
Gary Adams &lt;<a
href="mailto:***@oracle.com"
target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">If a process exits
during an attempt to attach to it, the
.attach_pid file<br>
will not be removed properly, if the path used
included symbolic link <br>
traversal,<br>
which is typically done for
"/proc/&lt;pid&gt;/cwd/". Using
getCanonicalFile() <br>
before the<br>
initial file is created should prevent this edge
case for left over files.<br>
   Webrev: <a
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.00/index.html</a><br>
   Issue: <a
href="https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214300"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214300</a><br>
Testing is in progress for every attach test I
can find, but there is no<br>
s***@oracle.com
2018-12-03 20:13:13 UTC
<head>
</head>
Thanks,<br>
Serguei<br>
On 12/3/18 12:09, Chris Plummer wrote:<br>
cite="mid:6a3cce17-3e6a-fb0f-c267-***@oracle.com">
Chris<br>
On 12/1/18 3:10 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:***@oracle.com" moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>
wrote:<br>
cite="mid:84625284-712a-52a0-9024-***@oracle.com">
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Egadams/8214300/webrev.01/"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gadams/8214300/webrev.01/</a><br>
On 11/30/18 3:10 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:<br>
cite="mid:df2d4d3c-9076-0402-f885-***@oracle.com">
webrev update to give it a thumbs up.<br>
Chris<br>
On 11/30/18 1:11 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:***@oracle.com" moz-do-not-send="true">***@oracle.com</a>
wrote:<br>
cite="mid:95b85891-5acb-6a16-b8a8-***@oracle.com">
webrev, yet.<br>
[...]