RFR(XXS): 8213902: com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java times out
Reingruber, Richard
2018-11-15 22:32:26 UTC

could I please get reviews for the following small patch? It fixes a bug in the test
com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java that causes a deadlock when executed with
-vmoption:-Xcomp.

Deadlock:

Debuggee (SetLocalWhileThreadInNativeTarget):
- running with -Xcomp
- still in early start-up
- printed a lot on tty already, because -XX:+PrintCompilation -XX:+PrintInlining are given
- java thread waits for compiler thread to finish compile task
- compiler thread is blocked in write on tty. tty buffer is full, because debugger is not yet
reading debuggee's output

Debugger
- waiting until connection to debugger is established

The fix is to remove -XX:+PrintCompilation -XX:+PrintInlining. In addition it excludes the test if
running with -Xcomp, because that mode does not add a lot of value, as the test actually only needs
dontinline_testMethod() to be compiled. Running with -Xcomp just wastes energy.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.01/

The contribution needs to be sponsored as well, please.

Thanks, Richard.
JC Beyler
2018-11-16 04:13:47 UTC
Hi Richard,

Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug? Ie: if someone were to
really be running the program in this configuration (with printcompilation
and printinlining) and attaching a debugger, would they not reach the same
issue?

Should that not be fixed in some way instead? Or is this such an improbable
case that we just consider it ludicrous?

Thanks,
Jc

Hi,
--
Thanks,
Jc
David Holmes
2018-11-16 04:40:09 UTC
Hi Jc,

If I may put in my 2c ...
Post by JC Beyler
Hi Richard,
Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug? Ie: if someone were
to really be running the program in this configuration (with
printcompilation and printinlining) and attaching a debugger, would they
not reach the same issue?
This is just a limitation of connecting process streams via finite
pipes. If the pipe can fill before the target process reaches the point
where it communicates back to the initial process (which would trigger
the initial process to start draining the pipe) then you effectively
deadlock.

So you either structure the tests so that they work correctly with the
finite pipes provided by the test scaffold, or you modify the test
scaffold to either provide a bigger pipe or else rework it to ensure
pipes can't fill and cause indefinite blocking.

For the case at hand fixing the test to not be so verbose is reasonable
in my opinion, though I'm not sure I'd remove Xcomp altogether as Xcomp
likes a range of programs to put it through its paces.

But it wouldn't be unreasonable to file a RFE to make the TestScaffold
handle this better.

Cheers,
David
Jc
Chris Plummer
2018-11-16 05:22:39 UTC
See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173304 and also
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4368399, which dates back to 2000.

Chris
Post by David Holmes
Hi Jc,
If I may put in my 2c ...
Jc
Reingruber, Richard
2018-11-16 15:37:45 UTC
Hi Jc, David, Chris,
Post by David Holmes
Post by JC Beyler
Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug?
I would not consider this a bug, but rather a limitation. I don't see a way to
work around it in the TestScaffold, though (looking at [1]).

So an enhancement would have to happen in the jdi implementation. To me it does
not seem worth the effort. I'd say the tracing is not necessary for regression
testing. In the case of a test error where all that output is required, I'd
start the debuggee in a shell and do the debugging manually.

Regarding -Xcomp: makes a lot of sense for tests that are indifferent about the
execution mode. The test at hand triggers compilation of the central test
method. It does not help that much, to compile everything else, too.

Anyway, here is another webrev without excluding -Xcomp:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.02/

I'd prefer the original webrev, because it's greener ;)

I would need a sponsor, too. Please take either one of the patches.

Thanks for reviewing,
Richard.

[1] Debugger stack

java.lang.Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper(java.lang.Object).wait() line: 328
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper.launchAndAccept() line: 197
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher(com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher).launch(java.lang.String[], java.lang.String, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService$ListenKey, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService) line: 140
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(java.util.Map<java.lang.String,? extends com.sun.jdi.connect.Connector.Argument>) line: 229
VMConnection.launchTarget() line: 314
VMConnection.open() line: 149
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).connect(java.lang.String[]) line: 637
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startUp(java.lang.String) line: 364
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTo(java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String) line: 374
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startToMain(java.lang.String) line: 369
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.runTests() line: 132
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTests() line: 431
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.main(java.lang.String[]) line: 120

    Thanks, Richard.
David Holmes
2018-11-16 22:34:00 UTC
Hi Richard,

I'll sponsor this over the weekend.

Thanks,
David
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Hi Jc, David, Chris,
Jc
David Holmes
2018-11-17 23:06:47 UTC
Version 2 pushed.

Richard: I'm unclear about your Author status as you are somehow only
listed as a JDK 9 Author ? And I thought all existing Authors were
automatically added to the JDK project.

Cheers,
David
Post by JC Beyler
Hi Richard,
I'll sponsor this over the weekend.
Thanks,
David
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Hi Jc, David, Chris,
   >> Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug?
I would not consider this a bug, but rather a limitation. I don't see a way to
work around it in the TestScaffold, though (looking at [1]).
So an enhancement would have to happen in the jdi implementation. To me it does
not seem worth the effort. I'd say the tracing is not necessary for regression
testing. In the case of a test error where all that output is
required, I'd
start the debuggee in a shell and do the debugging manually.
Regarding -Xcomp: makes a lot of sense for tests that are indifferent about the
execution mode. The test at hand triggers compilation of the central test
method. It does not help that much, to compile everything else, too.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.02/
I'd prefer the original webrev, because it's greener ;)
I would need a sponsor, too. Please take either one of the patches.
Thanks for reviewing,
Richard.
[1] Debugger stack
java.lang.Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper(java.lang.Object).wait() line: 328
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper.launchAndAccept() line: 197
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher(com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher).launch(java.lang.String[],
java.lang.String, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService$ListenKey,
com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService) line: 140
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?
extends com.sun.jdi.connect.Connector.Argument>) line: 229
VMConnection.launchTarget() line: 314
VMConnection.open() line: 149
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).connect(java.lang.String[]) line: 637
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startUp(java.lang.String) line: 364
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTo(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String) line: 374
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startToMain(java.lang.String) line: 369
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.runTests() line: 132
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTests() line: 431
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.main(java.lang.String[]) line: 120
com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java times out
See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173304 and also
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4368399, which dates back to 2000.
Chris
Post by David Holmes
Hi Jc,
If I may put in my 2c ...
Jc
Reingruber, Richard
2018-11-18 20:57:21 UTC
Thank you David.

Regarding my status: you're right. I noticed it, too, but wasn't sure what to do. Can you tell me?

Thanks again, Richard.

Post by JC Beyler
Hi Richard,
I'll sponsor this over the weekend.
Thanks,
David
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Hi Jc, David, Chris,
   >> Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug?
I would not consider this a bug, but rather a limitation. I don't see a way to
work around it in the TestScaffold, though (looking at [1]).
So an enhancement would have to happen in the jdi implementation. To me it does
not seem worth the effort. I'd say the tracing is not necessary for regression
testing. In the case of a test error where all that output is
required, I'd
start the debuggee in a shell and do the debugging manually.
Regarding -Xcomp: makes a lot of sense for tests that are indifferent about the
execution mode. The test at hand triggers compilation of the central test
method. It does not help that much, to compile everything else, too.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.02/
I'd prefer the original webrev, because it's greener ;)
I would need a sponsor, too. Please take either one of the patches.
Thanks for reviewing,
Richard.
[1] Debugger stack
java.lang.Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper(java.lang.Object).wait() line: 328
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper.launchAndAccept() line: 197
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher(com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher).launch(java.lang.String[],
java.lang.String, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService$ListenKey,
com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService) line: 140
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?
extends com.sun.jdi.connect.Connector.Argument>) line: 229
VMConnection.launchTarget() line: 314
VMConnection.open() line: 149
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).connect(java.lang.String[]) line: 637
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startUp(java.lang.String) line: 364
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTo(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String) line: 374
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startToMain(java.lang.String) line: 369
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.runTests() line: 132
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTests() line: 431
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.main(java.lang.String[]) line: 120
com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java times out
See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173304 and also
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4368399, which dates back to 2000.
Chris
Post by David Holmes
Hi Jc,
If I may put in my 2c ...
David Holmes
2018-11-18 21:58:04 UTC
Hi Richard,
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Thank you David.
Regarding my status: you're right. I noticed it, too, but wasn't sure what to do. Can you tell me?
You'll need to contact the JDK Project lead (Mark Reinhold) , as you
would have done when you got your JDK 9 Author role.

Cheers,
David
Thanks again, Richard.
Post by JC Beyler
Hi Richard,
I'll sponsor this over the weekend.
Thanks,
David
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Hi Jc, David, Chris,
   >> Is this not a test that's failing due to a real bug?
I would not consider this a bug, but rather a limitation. I don't see a way to
work around it in the TestScaffold, though (looking at [1]).
So an enhancement would have to happen in the jdi implementation. To me it does
not seem worth the effort. I'd say the tracing is not necessary for regression
testing. In the case of a test error where all that output is required, I'd
start the debuggee in a shell and do the debugging manually.
Regarding -Xcomp: makes a lot of sense for tests that are indifferent about the
execution mode. The test at hand triggers compilation of the central test
method. It does not help that much, to compile everything else, too.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rrich/webrevs/2018/8213902/webrev.02/
I'd prefer the original webrev, because it's greener ;)
I would need a sponsor, too. Please take either one of the patches.
Thanks for reviewing,
Richard.
[1] Debugger stack
java.lang.Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper(java.lang.Object).wait() line: 328
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher$Helper.launchAndAccept() line: 197
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher(com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher).launch(java.lang.String[],
java.lang.String, com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService$ListenKey,
com.sun.jdi.connect.spi.TransportService) line: 140
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?
extends com.sun.jdi.connect.Connector.Argument>) line: 229
VMConnection.launchTarget() line: 314
VMConnection.open() line: 149
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).connect(java.lang.String[]) line: 637
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startUp(java.lang.String) line: 364
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTo(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String) line: 374
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startToMain(java.lang.String) line: 369
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.runTests() line: 132
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative(TestScaffold).startTests() line: 431
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.main(java.lang.String[]) line: 120
com/sun/jdi/SetLocalWhileThreadInNative.java times out
See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173304 and also
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4368399, which dates back to 2000.
Chris
Post by David Holmes
Hi Jc,
If I may put in my 2c ...
Jc
JC Beyler
2018-11-16 16:04:16 UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for the explanation :) That makes sense to me,
Jc
Post by David Holmes
Hi Jc,
If I may put in my 2c ...
Jc
David Holmes
2018-11-16 04:43:17 UTC
Hi Richard,

I think your test is misusing @driver. If you want to pass -XX args you
should be using "@run main/othervm"

Otherwise turning off the Print* flags seems reasonable, but removing
Xcomp as well seems unnecessary.

Cheers,
David
Hi,
Thanks, Richard.
Reingruber, Richard
2018-11-16 15:32:33 UTC
Hi David,

I would like to pass -XX args mainly to the debuggee which is launched by
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative. There's no need to run SetLocalWhileThreadInNative
in another vm.

Do you think this is a misuse?

Thanks for looking at the patch,
Richard.

David Holmes
2018-11-16 22:27:42 UTC
Post by Reingruber, Richard
Hi David,
I would like to pass -XX args mainly to the debuggee which is launched by
SetLocalWhileThreadInNative. There's no need to run SetLocalWhileThreadInNative
in another vm.
Sorry Richard I misread the driver line and didn't notice that these are
actually "application" args that the test then uses for its internal
launch of the debuggee.

Thanks,
David